Sunday, March 9, 2008

"The Smart Planner" Blog

I wanted to share the great new Blog started recently by Liene Stevens of Blue Orchid Designs entitled The Smart Planner: Resources for Professional Wedding Consultants. It is already packed with great tips for wedding industry types and offers a very unique perspective.

Just another great example of how blogs have given a 'voice' to so many talented people allowing us all to benefit from their experience and point-of-view.  Liene emailed me shortly after launching the blog with this introduction:

"As you know, the wedding industry is a multi-billion dollar business, but many people operating wedding businesses don't have the first clue as to how to go about the business side of their work.  They may excel at designing luxurious events, but lack in knowledge of how to set price points or how to go about the basics of customer service.  I know that I have personally been frustrated by the lack of relevant, and up-to-date information on the market specifically for wedding planners.  There are a lot of great resources for photographers and they have made great strides in raising the bar in that area of the industry.  I would love for planners to do the same - to learn how to educate couples as to why consultants are important, to run their businesses in a way that turns a profit and is not merely an expensive hobby, and to operate in an integrous manner.  

In the lifespan of my blog for my wedding planning company, Blue Orchid Designs, I have noticed from the statistics that about half of my daily readership are event planners.  The "teaching posts" I have done have received a great response and I felt it was time to separate the audiences and create a new blog to specifically discuss issues pertaining to running a wedding consulting business."

Be sure to check out both The Smart Planner and Liene's first blog Blue Orchid Designs - 'must reads' for sure!